Thursday, September 2, 2010

The perfect pair

Several months ago, one of my sisters requested that I explore some "non-traditional" uses for a couple of items - goat cheese and tomatillos. I had never tried goat cheese, so I purchased some goat cheese crumbles and tried them on my lettuce salad in place of the crumbled feta I had recently been favoring. I wasn't a huge fan. The taste of the cheese just didn't seem to quite "go" with the flavor of the salad. Not knowing what else to do with it, I kept it in my fridge and searched for some recipes highlighting goat cheese.

When I stumbled upon a recipe using both goat cheese and tomatillos, I knew I had to try it. So I patiently waited as the tomatillo plant in our garden grew and grew. Last week, it finally produced some mature tomatillos - and my recipe was waiting!

I picked up a few ingredients I needed at the grocery store that I don't normally have on hand, including an avocado and some pita bread (the recipe calls for miniature white pita rounds, which I couldn't find. I decided regular white pitas cut into 6 slices worked just as well) and awaited my opportunity. Tonight was the night!

Guacamole-Goat Cheese Toasts

I give this recipe a 5/5 - it was delicious! It turns out that avocados and goat cheese crumbles are actually the perfect pair. I can't say I go crazy for either ingredient on its own, but together with the red onion and other seasonings, this was a fantastic little appetizer. The pita bread provided the perfect amount of crunch without being too hard or crumbly, and the components of the topping all complemented each other while also providing their own unique flavors. As someone who does not particulary enjoy raw tomatoes, I loved the sweet tomatillos on top (I also used yellow pear tomatoes instead of a plum tomato). This is a great alternative to the traditional chips and guac - a bit more sophisticated, but really just as easy. It can be made ahead of time, and can be served at room temperature.

You can bet I will be making this recipe again for the next appropriate event! Thank you, Keels, for inspiring me to get creative and find a new use for a couple of tasty ingredients!

3 comments:

  1. YUM!!!! I've been on a big avocado kick lately (they are just so healthy!) sounds like something I may enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad you busted your own rut and found a great recipe in the process. Goat cheese AND tomatillos??? I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this today... Y-U-M! I'd definitely make this again. This recipe could be used and served as a kicked up chips and guac too, if you don't want to serve them up individually. Thanks, Rut Buster!

    ReplyDelete